A new country, a new life and new challenges
I was a Chinese girl who lived in the countryside. I didn’t know much about foreign countries and I never thought I would experience living abroad in my life. However, I made a special journey.
Actually, it was my new life: I moved to England. It was unbelievable for me. When I arrived at the airport it was exciting. I had never seen an airport so elegant and great and my feelings were complex - I was full of curiosity and my heart was like a rabbit’s. Outside it was raining so I travelled by car. I was thinking; thinking of my new life.
The next day I got up and I couldn’t wait to go out, even though my English was not good. I looked at my new surroundings. It was clean, quiet and beautiful. It was very different. Everything, everywhere, everyone was new for me. I thought I couldn’t live there, and I was scared about that. As time went on, I gradually learned many things. I remember the British people were especially kind, and that they would help me to understand and be understood. I felt that I shouldn’t be afraid because I had a lot of good friends and we could learn from each other. The important thing was that I could be secure and happy to live in England, and start to feel like it was my sweet home.
When starting my new life in a different country, I needed to know about the culture there and how to take care of myself. This was a good chance to get my own independence. I am very happy and glad that I came here. A new country, a new life and new challenges.
▶Task 1 - true or false
In this first activity, you will read some statements based on Xiao’s story.
▶Task 2 - matching activity
In this second activity, you will look at some words and phrases from Xiao’s story, and match them to their meanings.
More like this
- How does your story of moving to the UK compare to Xiao’s?
- Did you have similar feelings and experiences, or was your story very different?
- Are you, like Xiao, enjoying the new challenges of living in the UK?
- What advice would you give to someone who has just moved to the UK? You could post your responses below.
- Why not find out about the experiences of other people who have moved to the UK by looking at some more of the winning stories from the learners’ competition.