Couple Doing Home Finance

Migrant workers and Working Tax Credit 

Who is a migrant worker 

A migrant worker is someone who has come from abroad to work in the UK. Migrant workers often work in hotels or restaurants, food processing, fruit picking and shellfish gathering. 

What is Working Tax Credit 

Working Tax Credit (WTC) is a payment for people who are working and on a low income. It is paid by HM Revenue and Customs. You can claim WTC by phoning the tax credit helpline on 0345 300 3900. If your claim is accepted, HMRC will make the payments directly into your bank or building society account, or into a post office account. 

Who can get Working Tax Credit     

If you're a UK national, you can get WTC as long as you live in the UK and you meet certain conditions. To meet these conditions you must:     

  • be aged 16 or over 
  • earn below a certain amount 
  • work at least 30 hours a week. 

In some circumstances, you may be able to claim WTC even if you only work 16 hours a week. These are if you're: 

  • caring for children, or 
  • disabled, or 
  • over 60. 

You don't have to have children to qualify for WTC but if you do have children, you may be able to get extra money to help with childcare costs. Also, you may be able to get Child Tax Credit as well as WTC or instead. 

You can't get WTC if you're under 25, unless you're disabled or have children. This is regardless of how many hours you work a week. 

Also, if you're in a couple and have children, you'll have to work at least 24 hours a week between the two of you, with one of your working at least 16 hours a week. 

If you have a partner, you must usually make a joint claim. HMRC will take your partner's income will into account when they work out whether or not you are entitled to any WTC. 


Extract of factsheet available at

Copyright © 2002-2012 Citizens Advice. All rights reserved Registered charity no: 279057 Company no: 1436945 England


Task 1 - reading comprehension

Task 2 - correct information



We would like to thank the Citizen's Advice Bureau for allowing us to use this factsheet. Further factsheets can be downloaded from this website:

Citizens Advice - work factsheets:

  • Do you know who can get Working Tax Credits?
  • Do you know how to claim Working Tax Credits?

Does the government help people with money in your country? Add a comment to say how.

1 vote

For inmigrants it's important have knowledge about rights and duties which must have as a worker in the UK. As well, it's important to know about institutions, laws and regulations governing the work activity.