This lesson is about poetry in prison. It provides students with three authentic poems first published in Inside Time – the National Newspaper for Prisoners. The lesson is aimed at high level learners. If your learners are lower level for example, Entry 3 / National 4, it might be better to use just 1 of the poems and accompanying activities.
Topic: Reading and talking about poetry
Level: Entry 3 (National 4) to Level 2
Time: minimum 110 minutes
- To develop learners’ ability to read different texts such as poems.
- To give practice of extracting information from a text.
- To develop learners’ vocabulary of prison life.
- To improve learners’ stress and intonation.
All learners will be able to:
- predict what poems could be about
- read and understand at least one poem
- discuss what the poem means
- write some sentences using colloquial English.
Level 1 and 2 learners will be able to:
- read and understand at least 2 poems
- write a simple poem.